Pages

Thursday, May 18, 2006

My initial training:

In this article, I would like to describe about my initial training under various gurus.

I was very mischievous in my hay days. I used have an innate ability. I was able to recognize major common ragas like Shankarabharanam, Kalyani, Mayamalavagowla, Bhilahari, Mohanam etc. Since I was very young at that time, I was not concious or aware of this ability in me (might be partly because of my mischief!). My mother, Smt. Rajalakshmi told me regarding this at a later stage when the mischief of the hay days was diminishing. Here is where the initial lessons of music started under the 'Vatsalya-type' tutelage of my mother and paternal grandmother.(The word 'Vatsalya' refers to the typical light-heartedness of mothers towards their children especially during their childhood days). So, it was an irregular informal training. My mother learnt music from Sri Swarnappa Bhagavathar and later from Smt. Rathnakumari Kalyanasundaram of Gopuchettypalayam. My paternal grandmother, Smt. R Sitalakshmi had her training in Vocal and Veena from Smt. Neelayadakshi, who was the direct shishyai of Sangeetha Kalanidhi Harikesanallur Dr L Muttayya Bhagavathar, who is considered as the doyen of carnatic music.

I later received scholarship under the Cultural Talent Search Scholarship (CTSS) scheme of the Centre For Cultural Resources and Training (CCRT), Government of India. I came under the tutelage of Smt. Padmavathy Natesan under this scheme. She is the daughter of Sangeetha Bhushanam, Sri O V Subramaniam popularly known as O V S. He had undergone training from doyans of Carnatic music like Thanjavur Sri Ponnaiyah Pillai and 'Tiger' Sri K Varadachary. Two of her brothers namely, Sri O S Arun and Sri O S Thyagarajan are very prominent personalities in the profession. I consider myself really fortunate to be associated with such a family with music in every element of its blood.

I will give details of my further training in my next post.


Namaskaaram !

No comments: